This website has gone through a number of rewrites over the years.
I originally wanted to create a portfolio website to advertise my skills and help me get internships during college. Given my tenure at Google and Microsoft, I’d say I succeeded. :-)
This original website was maintained until around 2011 and is still referenced by parts of this site.
Version 1.0 had a great fine-tuned layout but was difficult to modify, given the limited power of server side includes - the only dynamic rendering facility available.
This version was intended to make it easy to add new projects, and to provide blogging capabilities.
Editing site content and structure in Drupal for version 2.0 was sufficiently annoying that I ended up doing less updates to the site than I wanted.
In particular articles weren’t getting written because the Markdown syntax in Drupal was getting munged by input filters and the CSS from the site theme. Since there were a lot of layers to Drupal’s processing, this was complicated to debug and fix.
At long last I upgraded the site to look reasonable on mobile devices. I also refreshed the overall typography.
IE6 is surprisingly difficult to support. It doesn’t understand PNGs, has a different layout model than other browsers, and has lots of other quirks.↩
It’s hard to learn Jekyll from its documentation, which is fairly poor (as of early 2013). Instead I learned Jekyll by forking the code for Jekyll-Bootstrap and modifying the code (significantly) to get today’s structure. If I were to do this site over again, I’d probably start with Octopress instead of Jekyll-Bootstrap.↩
BBEdit and its free cousin TextWrangler are my favorite text editors. Sublime Text is also good if you need cross-platform support. Many new Mac users like TextMate, but it is less powerful than BBEdit.↩
Given my hobbies of archival and digital preservation, I definitely think about how artifacts I create (such as this website) will operate after I am no longer alive to actively maintain them.↩