Impact of Anime on my Programming Experience
It occurs to me that anime has been an important driver for improving my programming abilities.
- I did my own implementation of the Kisekae Set System (KiSS),
a digital paper doll system which often featured anime characters.
- My very first exposure to anime was to the characters of Wedding Peach,
via an included doll file with the French KiSS viewer by John Stiles.
- Taught me how to write directly to graphics buffers, in both C and
- I initially picked up Java when I was writing RealMediaFixer,
a repairer of RealMedia video files. CodeWarrior’s implementation of the
C++ iostream classes had a broken buffered stream implementation,
so I switched to Java to use its rock solid BufferedOutputStream
- Initial use was to repair Ranma episodes that I downloaded over HTTP,
- I implemented my own client and server for the Hotline protocol,
through which I got most of my anime prior to the introduction of
- Today I am enhancing support for transcoding soft subtitles in HandBrake
so that I can watch new anime on the bus.